The D.I.TM technology offers many benefits, including a lesser impact on the environment:
- Unlike traditional catalysts, which are based on toxic and carcinogenic Ni compounds, the RIVOIRA/Praxair catalyst contains noble metal and rare earth oxides, inert agents with a patented composition;
- Upon reaching the operating temperature, the system is basically autothermal, as the heat produced by the reagents is sufficient to maintain the process temperature;
- No cooling water is required for the reformed gas produced by the system, as the gas is cooled by the same Nitrogen which is used to dilute the composition to the desired value;
- The CO2 content in the gas generated is less than one tenth the CO2 content in exothermal gas;
- The system is very versatile and the air and methane inside can be replaced with Nitrogen to prevent CO from forming. In this manner, CO is produced only when required by the manufacturing process.
- The high efficiency of the RIVOIRA/Praxair catalyst makes it possible to reduce the volume of the catalytic reaction chamber to a considerable extent and obtain a small D.I.TM reactor of compact design.
High selectivity and stability:
- Catalyst composition makes for appreciable selectivity in promoting CO (Carbon monoxide) and H2 (hydrogen) formation reactions, thereby maximising the production of these gases all to the detriment of oxidising and decarburising components (CO2 and H2O). In the right concentration, CO and H2 make it possible to prevent steel decarburisation and oxidation. The use of a special alumina support endows the catalyst with excellent thermal stability and resistance to wear.
Reduced thermal stresses:
- The reactivity of the catalyst makes it possible to produce active gas at relatively low temperatures. The normal process temperatures of reactors, in fact, are in the 800 - 900°C range. This results in reduced thermal stresses on all the functional components of the reactor (catalytic chamber, shell, resistors and the catalyst itself) and enhanced system reliability.
Compact design, ease of use and safety:
- The D.I.TM system features compact design and is totally PLC controlled. In the event of a fault occurring, the system shuts down the active process flows, and then flushes the generator, and hence the furnace, with Nitrogen. Process conditions are changed automatically based on parameters set by the operator. The system cam produce a protective atmosphere in less than thirty minutes of the heating coming on.
- The D.I.TM system ensures constant efficiency, which translates into constant quality of the gas generated. Key factors include: automatic flow control, process management on the basis of predetermined settings, consistent catalytic reactions.
Efficiency energy use:
- Inside the D.I.TM system, the reaction between air and natural gas takes place in two stages, i.e., an exothermic stage followed right away by an endothermic stage. The thermal energy balance between the two stages is virtually neutral, so much so that the reaction may be considered autothermal. As a result, the thermal energy input, to be provided as electric energy, is minimal, as only small temperature control adjustments are necessary.
From the standpoint of system construction, the D.I.TM technology has been subjected to on-going checks and overhauls by Praxair all over the world and RIVOIRA in Italy.