Features of Ammonia
Ammonia, NH3, is a toxic and corrosive gas.
Physical and chemical properties
Physical state: Liquefied gas
Molecular weight: 17 g/mol
Smell: of Ammonia
Ammonia is used:
- in calibration mixtures for environmental monitoring;
- in the manufacture of semiconductors, for chemical vapor deposition (CVD) of silicon nitride (Si3N4);
- as refrigerant fluid;
- as raw material for the production of nitric acid;
- as nitrating agent in heat treatments;
- as reagent/solvent in some chemical/pharmaceutical syntheses.
Stability and reactivity
It can reacts violently with oxidants.
It can reacts violently with alkali.
It reacts with water to form corrosive acids.
It can form explosive mixtures with the air.